United States Patent no. 7,898,078, issued on March 1, was assigned to International Business Machines Corp. Two sets of conductor fins are formed on a topmost surface of stacked semiconductor chips are electrically isolated from each other and function as radiators that dissipate heat from the stacked semiconductor chips. Conductive wiring structures are formed on each set of conductor fins to supply electrical power and electrical grounding to the stacked semiconductor chips. Since the semiconductor fins above provide electrical power supply and electrical grounding, a higher fraction of electrical connections between the bottommost surface of the stacked semiconductor chips and the packaging substrate may be employed for input and output signal transmission without adverse impact on heat dissipation of the stacked semiconductor chips. The conductive fins function as power connectors.
Connector/Decoupler Integrated in a Heat Sink
Get our newsletter delivered to your email inbox.
- Electronics Cooling March 2015 Issue Now Online
- Understanding Semiconductor Technology and Business
- Nutella used as a Thermal Paste
- Graphene Improves Anti-Corrosion Coatings
- Ultra-thin and Flexible Thermal Management Device to be Commercialized
- Universal Cooler Ideal for Tilting Luminaires
- New TIM Improves Cooling Performance
- Bendable Heat Pipes Ideal for Space-limited Applications
Don’t miss out on
the March 2015 issue
of Electronics Cooling, which includes feature articles on Circuit Card Assembly Heat Sinks; Thermal Power Plane Enabling Chip Stacks; Liquid Immersion in the Data Center; and more!
View Issue »
- Home 122,349 views
- Simplified Formula for Estimating Natural Convection Heat Transfer Coefficient on a Flat Plate 31,429 views
- The Seebeck Coefficient 26,994 views
- Advances In High-Performance Cooling For Electronics 23,008 views
- The Thermal Conductivity of Moist Air 18,459 views
- Heat Pipes for Electronics Cooling Applications 18,024 views
- How to Select a Heat Sink 17,646 views
- Estimating Parallel Plate-Fin Heat Sink Thermal Resistance 17,599 views