United States Patent no. 7,898,078, issued on March 1, was assigned to International Business Machines Corp. Two sets of conductor fins are formed on a topmost surface of stacked semiconductor chips are electrically isolated from each other and function as radiators that dissipate heat from the stacked semiconductor chips. Conductive wiring structures are formed on each set of conductor fins to supply electrical power and electrical grounding to the stacked semiconductor chips. Since the semiconductor fins above provide electrical power supply and electrical grounding, a higher fraction of electrical connections between the bottommost surface of the stacked semiconductor chips and the packaging substrate may be employed for input and output signal transmission without adverse impact on heat dissipation of the stacked semiconductor chips. The conductive fins function as power connectors.
Connector/Decoupler Integrated in a Heat Sink
Get our newsletter delivered to your email inbox.
- Electronics Cooling December 2013 Issue Now Online
- Thermoelectric Coolers for High Temperature Environments
- Patent for Heat Spreader for IC Package, and IC Package Clamper Having the Heat Spreader
- New Gap Filler Offers Thermal Conductivity of 1.3W/m-K
- New Thermal Modeling Programs Offer Wide Range of Application Simulations
- Thermal Facts & Fairy Tales: How Useful Are Heat Sink Correlations for Design Purposes?
- Technique Combines Heat Sinks for More Effective Cooling
- New CFD Software Update Offers Efficient Handling of Advanced Designs
Don’t miss out on
the December 2013 issue
of Electronics Cooling, which includes feature articles on Energy-Efficient Warm-Water Cooling of Servers; Thermal Management of Many-core Processors using Power Multiplexing, Characterization of Server Thermal Mass; and more.
View Issue »
- The Seebeck Coefficient 5 comment(s)
- Simplified Formula for Estimating Natural Convection Heat Transfer Coefficient on a Flat Plate 2 comment(s)
- The Thermal Conductivity of Moist Air 5 comment(s)
- Advances In High-Performance Cooling For Electronics 13 comment(s)
- Heat pipes for electronics cooling applications 8 comment(s)
- Notes on Using Thermocouples 11 comment(s)
- Estimating Parallel Plate-Fin Heat Sink Thermal Resistance 18 comment(s)
- Thermal Conductivity of Solders 2 comment(s)
- No public Twitter messages.